• 120 gr unsalted butter
• 120 gr vegetable shortening ( Stork)
• 400 gr caster sugar
• 200 gr brown sugar
• 600 gr cake flour( 9-10%)
• 40 gr Dutched cocoa powder
• 4 large eggs ( 240 g)
• 2 teaspoons vanilla essence ( vanilla bean)
• pinch of salt
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• 40 gr red food colouring (Wilton / PME / Sugar flair)
• 240 gr of buttermilk (or mixture 1:1 full fat milk : Greek yogurt)
• 2 tablespoons vinegar
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
Prepare the baking tins/ trays ( 2x 8” round/square tins or 2 oblong 9/12 “
Beat the butter, Stork and sugar until the mixture becomes light and fluffy (about 10 minutes high
speed). If you do not have a quality vegetable shortening use only butter (80% fat)
Mix the liquid ingredients : buttermilk and eggs with cocoa powder, vanilla, food colouring
When the mixture looks aerated & creamed add the wet mixture and gently incorporate.
Fold in the sifted flour .
At the end add the baking soda dissolved into the vinegar and mix everything at medium speed for
30-40 seconds then divide the composition in equal amounts in trays and bake for 20-25 min.
The cake is baked if when you lightly press top springs back, returning to its original shape without
leaving a mark.